As a musician, it’s important to make use of hashtags on Instagram to grow your following and get your music in front of new fans. But which hashtags should you be using? And what are some creative ways to use them that will help you stand out from the crowd? In this article, we’ll discuss the best hashtags for musicians and give you some ideas for using them to get the most exposure for your music.
What are Hashtags? (And Why They Are Important)
Hashtags are essentially keywords that you can use to help people find your content. When you use a hashtag, anyone who searches for that hashtag will see your content in the results. This is a great way to reach new people who might be interested in your music.
There are two main ways to use hashtags as a musician on Instagram: in your posts and in your stories. You can use up to 30 hashtags in a post, so make sure to include relevant ones that will help people find your content. In your stories, you can use hashtags to create interactive experiences for your followers. For example, you could use a hashtag poll to let your fans vote on their favorite song from your new album.
Note: there is an unconfirmed rumor in my agency marketing networks that it is optimal to currently use six or less hashtags. In all my experience as a professional marketer, I haven’t seen either version negatively impact an account – so feel free to experiment with using both 6 and 30 hashtags to understand the best results for your account!
The Best Hashtags for Musicians (And How To Use Them)
Hashtags are a great way to reach new people and grow your following on Instagram. But which hashtags should you be using? Here are some of the best hashtags for musicians:
- #musicmonday: Use this hashtag to share your music with the world every Monday.
- #newmusicfriday: Every Friday, use this hashtag to let your fans know about any new music you’ve released.
- #musicproducer: If you produce your own music, use this hashtag to connect with other producers and get advice and tips.
- #musiciansofinstagram: This is a great general hashtag to use that will help you reach a wide audience of music lovers
Now that you know some of the best hashtags for musicians, let’s discuss how to use them. As we mentioned before, you can use hashtags in your posts and stories. But there are a few other things you can do with them as well.
One great way to use hashtags is to create a hashtag challenge. This is where you come up with a creative challenge for your followers and ask them to share their photos or videos using your hashtag. For example, you could do a cover song challenge and ask your fans to post videos of themselves singing one of your songs. Or you could do a dance challenge and ask people to post videos of themselves dancing to one of your songs. Hashtag challenges are a great way to engage your followers and get them to share your music with their friends.
Another great way to use hashtags is to partner with other musicians or brands. You can do this by teaming up with another artist to promote each other’s music using a shared hashtag. Or you could partner with a brand that aligns with your image and values and ask them to sponsor one of your hashtag challenges. Partnerships are a great way to reach new people and grow your fanbase.
Hashtags are a powerful tool that every musician should be using on Instagram. By utilizing the best hashtags for musicians, you can reach new fans, grow your following, and get more exposure for your music.
Testing Hashtag Results
First, think about the kind of music you make and who your target audience is. Then, come up with some creative and catchy hashtag ideas that will help get your post noticed.
Here are some tips for finding the best hashtags for musicians:
- Do some research: Check out other musician’s accounts and see which hashtags they’re using. This will give you some good ideas to start with.
- Keep it relevant: Make sure the hashtags you use are relevant to your music and your target audience.
- Be creative: Get creative with your hashtags and come up with something unique that will make you stand out from the rest.
- Use a mix of popular and niche hashtags: Using both popular and niche hashtags will help you reach a wider audience.
- Monitor your results: Keep an eye on how well each hashtag is performing for you and adjust accordingly.
Using Hashtags to Grow Your Following
Here are some tips for using hashtags to grow your Instagram following:
- Use relevant hashtags: As we mentioned before, it’s important to use relevant hashtags so that your posts will be seen by people who are interested in what you’re posting. Spam hashtags (even if they usually get a lot of engagement on relatable content) are not likely to get engagement for an unrelated post – and remember, you have a finite amount of hashtags you can use per post! So don’t “waste” any of your hashtag slots on something that isn’t particularly relevant for the post at hand.
- Use hashtag stickers: Hashtag stickers are a great way to get more exposure for your posts. You can find them in the Instagram app under “Stickers.”
- Use hashtags in your bio: You can also put relevant hashtags in your Instagram bio. This is a great way to get more exposure for your account and help people find you when they’re searching for certain topics.
Go Forth, Rebel Artist.
Hashtags are an underrated and still powerful tool to drive following to accounts – particularly if you’re late to the game and starting an instagram now. As a marketing professional, trust me when I say you can ignore any 25 year old who believes hashtags are somehow uncool or “cringy.” 😉 This touches on the myth of organic-only content marketing, which we do not believe in at an agency level. I’ll explain more on that in another article.
By using relevant and creative hashtags, you can reach a wider audience and grow your following. So what are you waiting for? Start using hashtags today and see the results for yourself!